Dahlen Castle

This baroque castle and the neighbouring agricultural buildings were built for Heinrich von Bünau between 1744 and 1751. The complex was owned by the Sahrer von Sahr family from 1852 until 1945. Following the expropriation by the GDR, it was used for a number of different purposes, including as a children’s holiday camp and a police school. On 20 March 1973, a fire caused by a defective oven pipe connector burned the castle to ground. The ruins were due to be demolished in 1989.

But between 1990 and 1994, initial site clearing operations began, and a ceramic stretch ceiling and provisional felt covering were installed. From 2005 to 2008, the castle was used by a BGB company which carried out further safety and clean-up work and hosted commercial events at the site. 
Since 2009, the Dahlen Castle and Park Association has worked to prevent further deterioration. 

The oldest tulip tree in Saxony can be found in its gardens.


Opening hours

May – October 
For events and tour information/booking, please see the website

Facilities

   

Address

Address: Schloss Dahlen
Street/house no. Schlossstraße 22
Post code/city: 04774 Dahlen