Hubertusburg Palace, Wermsdorf

Hubertusburg Palace, named after the patron saint of hunting, is one of the most mature examples of Saxon baroque architecture. It is the largest and was once the most magnificent country house in Europe. The estate was built by Lieutenant Colonel Johann Christoph Naumann (1664 – 1742), a man who enriched the artistic history of Saxony with his many buildings across the state, including in Leipzig and Bautzen.

Between 1739 and 1751, the main building of the palace was converted under the watchful eye of ingenious master builder Johann Knöffel. It was the last building he oversaw and is regarded by many as his greatest.

A number of important artists were involved in the design of Hubertusburg, including sculptors Lorenzo Mattielli, Benjamin Thomae and Gottfried Knöffel, painters J. B. Grone, J. A. Pöppelmann and Christian W. E. Dittrich, and art theorist A. F. Oeser.

One particularly impressive feature is the main building and what appears at first glance to be its tower. However, it is actually a high, four-sided ridge turret that sits on top of the broad central avant-corps. With its almost oversized sound holes and onion-shaped cupola, topped by a weathervane in the form of a jumping stag, it is reminiscent of the Kronentor pavilion at the Zwinger in Dresden, but much slimmer and more graceful.

The palace’s former glory can now only be seen in the completely original Catholic castle chapel of St. Hubertus. All the other fittings from the rooms were plundered in 1761 in retaliation to the partial devastation of Charlottenburg, Berlin by Austrian, Russian and Saxon troops during the Seven Years’ War, and were replaced with new items over the years.

The Treaty of Hubertusburg (signed here between Saxony, Prussia and Austria on 15 February 1763), which ended the Seven Years’ War, inscribed the name of the palace in the European history books. The end of the Seven Years’ War also meant the end of the “Augustan Age” in Saxony. Elector Frederick Augustus died just a few months after the treaty was signed on 5 October 1763.


Opening hours

Guided tours: 
Saturday, Sunday & public holidays11:30, 14:00 and 15:00
Special tours available by prior arrangement
  External areas are free to access

Facilities

 

Address

Address: Schloss Hubertusburg
Street/house no. An der Hubertusburg 1
Post code/city: 04779 Wermsdorf