Machern Castle and Landscape Garden

Machern Castle was originally built as a moated castle, but has been converted and expanded many times over the centuries. Its current design as a three-wing baroque complex was established after the Thirty Years’ War. After the expropriation in 1946, the castle was handed back to the people and was used as a cultural facility, guest house and apartments. 
In 1990, it was extensively restored with public funds, bringing it back to its former glory. The castle is now used as a community meeting place that hosts regular cultural events such as plays, concerts and exhibitions, as well as meetings, seminars and family parties. The historic Ritterstube, or Knights’ Room, has been converted into a registry office, making the castle a romantic wedding venue. 

One of the highlights of the castle is the expansive neighbouring park complex, which the last Imperial Count, Carl Heinrich August von Lindenau, had designed in an English style in the late 18th century, inspired by his many trips abroad. Garden architect E.W. Glasewald designed the garden buildings, pyramid, Hygiea temple and the imposing ruins of the knights’ castle.
Machern’s historic landscape garden is best enjoyed with a private guided tour. Special tours for school groups and children’s birthday parties are also available.


Opening hours

The landscape garden is always open

Prices

Free access to the landscape garden/
Guided tours: €5 per adult, €3 per child
€20 minimum charge for groups of less than 4 people

Facilities

     

Address

Address: Schloß Machern
Street/house no. Schloßplatz 1
Post code/city: 04827 Machern

Contact person

For guided tours, please contact:
Macherner Grünprofi GmbH
Telephone: +49 (0)3425 8577422
Email: info@gruenprofi-machern.de
Website: www.gruenprofi-machern.de/landschaftsgarten