Following an exhibition of antiquities in the town hall in the spring of 1899, Pastor Conrad Dillner opened the museum on 6 October 1899. It was initially housed in the town’s school, and later in the Carabiniers’ oat store and in the superintendenture, before being finally relocated to the town hall. Halfway up to the town hall tower's observation platform, the 300-year old spiral staircase leads visitors to the museum’s creaky iron door. The lower floor houses the exhibition, “From the lives of old Pegau people”. This presents sources about our forebears’ childhood, schooling, work, clubs, inns and hobbies.