Schmeisser organ at St. John’s Church, Belgershain

Alfred Schmeisser (1878–1957), working in Rochlitz in the third generation of company founder Wilhelm Schmeisser (1817–1882), built the organ in 1905 with pneumatic note and stop action. II/18. This organ, featuring a second manual with stops up to a Sifflet 1', represents an early example from the Organ Reform Movement era. The foundation stone for the new St. John’s Church was laid in 1682. In 1686, the church was consecrated and its first organ installed by Leipzig builder Christoph Donat. Johann Gottlieb from Altenburg rebuilt the organ in 1770. The lavishly appointed west gallery hints at the use of challenging church music.
Text: Klaus Gernhardt

Details

Details
Stop list

1st Manual

1 Bourdon 16´
2 Principal 8´
3 Gamba 8´
4 Hohlflöte 8´
5 Gemshorn 8´
6 Octave 4´
7 Octave 2´
8 Mixture IV

2nd Manual

9 Geigen Principal 8´
10 Gedackt 8´
11 Concert Flute 4´
12 Schwiegel 2´
13 Quinte 1 1/3´
14 Sifflet 1´

Pedal

15 Sub Bass 16´
16 Violon Bass 16´
17 Principal Bass 8´
18 Choral Bass 4´

Address

Address: Johanneskirche
Street/house no. Hauptstraße 25
Post code/city: 04683 Belgershain

Contact person

Protestant Parish of Pomßen-Großsteinberg
Hauptstr. 31
04668 Parthenstein